Thursday, January 22, 2009

Robotrippin'

I have my voice back. It's great. Unfortunately, this cold has been lingering in the most annonying way. My sore throat is still present, I've got a nighttime cough, and I've still got more mucous than usual in my sinuses. As I mentioned before, I've been taking cold medicine, a generic version of Tylenol Cold Severe Congestion. I picked it out because it has everything I need: a painkiller, an expectorant, a cough suppressant, and a decongestant. I'd also been taking Thermaflu Warming Relief until last week.

I ended up going to Aaron's party last Saturday, and a BBQ on Sunday night and I refrained from drinking at each event! And I had a great time at each! I was social and happy and talked to plenty of strangers. I thought to myself--and bragged to friends--that I was enjoying this "sober living" and that maybe I'd never drink again. I was giddy, happy, and touchy-feel-y. In fact, at work this week I've been downright cheerful. I have been genuinely happy to see my co-workers, and I felt full of love. I've been hugging people and skipping to the bathroom. It just feels right. So of course, I started to wonder: was it the damn cold medicine? A Google search quickly returned the results:

The drug, dextromethorphan, or DXM, is an active ingredient in such medications as Coricidin HBP Cough & Cold Tablets and Robitussin products, the CPCS reports. Taken in excess of recommended doses, it can produce euphoria, hallucinations and potentially dangerous responses.

Then I vaguely remembered Zach and Nate doing a bunch of "Robitussin" one weekend in college. So this whole "sober living" feeling-good-feeling-great kick has really just been the euphoric hallucinations of a cold medicine addict. I stand corrected. I shall never be free of the drug peddlers cold, firm grip. I mean, I've been taking the cold medicine as directed! But it definitely has a euphoric effect on me, it makes me feel happier and giddier than usual. A little looser. However, it has started to hurt my stomach a little; I've been taking it for about a week and a half now. The good news is that I've got about 6 pills left, and my cold seems to finally be waning. I'll be free and back to booze in no time. It's pretty frightening though, because over the counter medicine seems like it's good and safe, but drugs are drugs. The best part of this is that everyone I told about this seemed familiar with the term "Robotripping" but me. Everyone has been like, oh robotripping, yeah, what about it? Haha. Kids these days with their crazy abuse of household items.

So in conclusion, maybe one day I'll become one of those California granolas who gets their highs from bicycling, organic foods, holistic medicine, power yoga, and taking three solid shits a day. Until then, it's back to plain old booze for me. I'm too poor for Whole Foods and I'm too proud for cold medicine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home