Part Time Punks Festival
Happy New Year! It's January 2. Time to get to work on all those things I've been putting off doing.

Back in November, I went to the first ever Part Time Punks Festival at the Echo. As I've mentioned before, Part Time Punks is a weekly club, as well as a weekly radio show on KXLU 88.9 FM specializing in post-punk music and the genres that preceded/were influenced by it. I was in a bit of panic since I had no idea who I'd convince to attend this show with me and I really had to go. Of course there was always the option of going alone, but I needed some support. I also knew it was going to be a great show--A Certain Ratio would be playing in the US for the first time in over 20 years! I convinced (begged) Claudia and John to come with me and actually ended up winning 2 free tickets! Here's a tip: winning free concert tickets from college radio is pretty easy to do since (sadly) there aren't nearly as many listeners as mainstream radio.

The festival was an all day thing, and while there were a lot of bands, old video clips, and films I wanted to check out earlier in the day, I really didn't think I could last 12 hours at The Echo. We showed up around 9pm and stayed until after A Certain Ratio played. Sadly, when we did see A Certain Ratio, they played a lot of their new material which wasn't nearly as good as the old stuff. The old stuff they did play sounded wonderful though, and just as vibrant as it did 20 years ago. Other bands we saw included Aerial Pink & Haunted Graffiti, which, as I think I've mentioned before, are like one of the worst live acts I've ever seen. Pylon and Love Is All were great. We bumped into NU alum Felipe Lima who was there to check out his friend's band.
Anyway, I'm super excited because using my digital camera, I just uploaded my first video to YouTube, which was A Certain Ratio's live version of "Do the Du" at the festival. It's pretty sweet. More to come on the blog later this weekend.
Back in November, I went to the first ever Part Time Punks Festival at the Echo. As I've mentioned before, Part Time Punks is a weekly club, as well as a weekly radio show on KXLU 88.9 FM specializing in post-punk music and the genres that preceded/were influenced by it. I was in a bit of panic since I had no idea who I'd convince to attend this show with me and I really had to go. Of course there was always the option of going alone, but I needed some support. I also knew it was going to be a great show--A Certain Ratio would be playing in the US for the first time in over 20 years! I convinced (begged) Claudia and John to come with me and actually ended up winning 2 free tickets! Here's a tip: winning free concert tickets from college radio is pretty easy to do since (sadly) there aren't nearly as many listeners as mainstream radio.
The festival was an all day thing, and while there were a lot of bands, old video clips, and films I wanted to check out earlier in the day, I really didn't think I could last 12 hours at The Echo. We showed up around 9pm and stayed until after A Certain Ratio played. Sadly, when we did see A Certain Ratio, they played a lot of their new material which wasn't nearly as good as the old stuff. The old stuff they did play sounded wonderful though, and just as vibrant as it did 20 years ago. Other bands we saw included Aerial Pink & Haunted Graffiti, which, as I think I've mentioned before, are like one of the worst live acts I've ever seen. Pylon and Love Is All were great. We bumped into NU alum Felipe Lima who was there to check out his friend's band.
Anyway, I'm super excited because using my digital camera, I just uploaded my first video to YouTube, which was A Certain Ratio's live version of "Do the Du" at the festival. It's pretty sweet. More to come on the blog later this weekend.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home